Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Working on a New Quilt

 Hi everyone.

A couple of months ago I brought a couple of jelly rolls from JoAnn's and needed to make something with them. (Why does JoAnn's sell their jelly rolls with only 20 pieces, meaning we have to buy 2 of them for most quilts?) I had been looking for a pattern for a while now and fell in love with the look of strip quilts. But most of them had strips of the same size and I wanted something where I didn't have to worry about matching up seams.  So based on a couple of online tutorials and pictures I started cutting up the jelly rolls and some fat quarters. Here is a picture of the piles of cut up fabric.

            

The strips were cut into 2.5" x 6.5" quarters were cut up into 1.5" x 6.5" and 3.5" x 6.5" rectangles. I cut way more rectangles then I ultimately needed but since I didn't know exactly what I was going to do I thought more would be better.  In total, I think I cut almost 500 rectangles.

I finally came up with a design and was able to use my EQ8 software to draw it out.


I decided to sew the rectangles into blocks instead of long strips. So I  came up with 5 blocks (A - E) each block measuring 6.5" x 8.5".  Based on the above picture the quilt will be 68" X 74" and have 400 rectangles but I haven't finalized the design yet because I have a lot of rectangles left over so I might include a piano key border.  Or make extra blocks to use on the back.
Still trying to figure that out but we'll see what happens.


Chain piecing on the machine and stacks of fabric left to go.






So far I've made the A Blocks.  And I'm really excited about how they look. And can't wait to see how this comes out. 

Unlike most of my quilts, this quilt already has a name. The fabric from JoAnn's has the Eiffel Tower and other French writings and so I came up with Paris as the name. 
 
Okay well, that's all for today.  

I do want to take a moment to say Hi to Noel who is my newest follower on Bloglovin'.  

And always Thank You All for stopping by.

Until next time...


































No comments:

Post a Comment