Sunday, October 11, 2020

Stone Toss - A Half Square Quilt

Hi everyone!

Today, I'm sharing photos of my finished HST quilt.  It's called Stone Toss and, I just love how it turned out.



The quilt is a gift for one of my BFF's sons, who recently purchased his first house.  I wanted this to be a surprise, so the only direction I received (from his Mom) was that his favorite color is grey (just like me).

So with that, I settled on the direction I wanted to go - half square triangles. And then I went looking for fabric. After much searching on Etsy, eBay, and Amazon - I settled on a Kona Stormy Skies fat quarter bundle, a Cold Snap 5 Karat Gems pack (Wilmington Prints), a Stonehenge Graduations in Graphite fat quarter bundle(Northcutt), that worked really nicely with the gems pack, and a couple of fat quarters thrown in from my stash.



There was no plan or pattern used for this quilt, other than wanting to use HST's and that it be masculine.

First, I figured out how many blocks I needed to make a quilt that was at least 72" x 81". Answer = 288.  I cut 144 'background' squares and 144 'focus' squares and spent a couple of days making a lot of HST's. (Which I truly didn't mind. I think I might be the only quilter who likes making HST's including the trimming.) 

And then I put them all up on the design board.  No overthinking it, no second-guessing myself, I just put them on the board. I even let blocks with the same colors touch each other in quite a few places. Oh my! 😮 But I think it gives the quilt some interest and gives the eye a place to land amongst the randomness of the design.


The backing and binding are from my thrift store sheet stash.




The quilting is something new for me. I did horizontal lines at 1.50" apart. I think it really allows the design to shine.

The quilt measures 65" x 76" and the layout is 16 x 18. 

And I can't wait to give it to him...hopefully sometime this month.


That's it for now...

This week, I'm starting another quilt. A Christmas present that will be a half-hexie quilt in yellows. Can't wait.

Until next time...

Camille


No comments:

Post a Comment