Thursday, January 24, 2019

Hand Wash Your Ironing Board Cover



Have you been using an iron board with a cover that you're embarrassed to have anyone else see?

As you can see from these pictures my answer would be a resounding YES!


I'm sure you've seen the numerous postings on how to recover your ironing board. I was all set to use one of those tutorials to recover mine but if you've read my blog you know that I'm frugal. I would rather spend my money on quilting fabric. 

So I just kept using my ironing board with the nasty cover until I couldn't take it anymore. I went out and brought a sheet at the thrift store to use and it sat around for a while and for whatever reason I just didn't want to bother with making a cover. 

Then one day it dawned on me. The tag on the cover said do not machine wash. It doesn't say not to hand wash it. So that's what I did. I put a little fabric soap in my sink and plunked my cover into it and let it sit for about an hour. 

When I came back, all the thread that had been stuck on it was floating in a sink filled with brown water. The first time I did this when I fished out the thread it was the size of a baseball. I kid you not...a baseball. (Okay, I'll admit it...I had been using this grungy ironing board cover for almost 2 years.)

After rinsing it out a few times until the water was clear I threw it in the dryer and when I pulled it out, it was almost like new.




So now, I wash my cover once a month and the sheet I had brought to use for a new cover has been moved to my stash instead.

Hopefully, this tip saves you money you can spend on quilting fabric, which in my book is a win-win.

Thanks for stopping by...


No comments:

Post a Comment