Friday, August 3, 2018

Quilting on a Dime

When I first thought about quilting I felt intimidated when I went into the fabric store. I was overwhelmed by the number of fabric choices and the prices. Quilting is my hobby not my livlihood. I didn't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a hobby but every where I read I was being told that you had to buy quality cotton quilting fabric which did not include the local chain store fabric shops. So I went back to my local quilting shops and online stores and brought quality cotton quilting fabrics that were on sale. I was happy with my purchases but I  was still spending more money than I wanted to, especially on the fabric for the quilt backings.

And then I read a blog that said to buy the fabric that you can afford. And it was a revelation. Since then I have brought fabric any where I find it.

Now I buy fabric that I love and that I can afford.

I've brought fabric from my local quilt shop, chain store fabric shops, online quilting shops, and thrift stores. And so far, I'm the only one who knows the difference.
Small sample of my fabric collection from online quilting shops and chain store fabric shops.

For quilt backs I discovered Habitat for Humanity ReStore. If you have one in your area I recommend checking it out the next time you need fabric for your quilt back. They sell single sheets (queen, king and twin sizes) as drop clothes and in my local store they cost $1.00.
Quilt back fabric from thrift stores.

If you have tips on quilting on a dime I would love to hear them.

That's all for today. Thanks for stopping by.

Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment